Monday, July 18, 2011

The Spirit

Matt and I have a devotion by Charles Spurgeon called, "Morning and Evening." It traveled with us through Central America and Mexico and now back to Minneapolis. It has become a part of our normal morning coffee, and sometimes, our bed time salutation.

Yesterday's Spurgeon devotion was based on Thessalonians 1, 4-8. It said:

4 For we know, brothers and sisters loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. 6 You became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you welcomed the message in the midst of severe suffering with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. 7 And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achai.

A few years back I went through a time of questioning the role of the Holy Spirit at work in my life. I wondered if the fruits of the Spirit were something I just conjured up for my own personal sense of security of Jesus Christ. I knew the bible said that if I was rooted in God's word and seeking him, my life would produce fruit (Galatians 5). I also knew that the bible said it is only by God's spirit living inside me that God identifies with me (Romans 8). I wanted to be identified with God, I knew that, that identity was my eternal hope, and so... I worried.

I reflected on that time with Matt, and remembered that the same Holy Spirit I questioned, later assured me, in the same way that Paul assured the Thessalonians in chapter 1. I heard him and I still hear him, even yesterday saying:

"Alyssa, you did not transform yourself, I am working in you, if I wasn't how is your life over taken by deep conviction of the gospel? How has your character from the inside out, not just looks, but behind closed doors, completely changed and changing into the Jesus of the bible? How could you ever see joy in trying and sorrowful time? How could you be a model and perpetuation of the faith to other people?"

My walk as a believer and follower of Jesus Christ is not merely wrapped up in the moment I accepted Jesus into my life, it is defined by the moment by moment transformation of the Holy Spirit at work with my Spirit. Making me and molding me to be used. Praise God for the Holy Spirit, and praise God for change.

No comments:

Post a Comment