Friday, January 7, 2011

Spanish and Movies

New year, new classes, new teachers. I have moved up to level 3 (the school has levels 1-3), however, we spent this past week reviewing pronouns from the end of book 2 so that sheds light on my status. Beginning to feel more comfortable conversing casually without calculating every word.

Yesterday after classes Matt needed to take care of some things at the apartment so I stayed after to watch a student/faculty futbol game. On the sidelines I chatted with the girlfriend of Matt's new teacher- Estaban. While chatting, Gabby (Matt's old teacher) and a few other ladies were walking by and called me over to go to a bar with them ( social life somewhat revolves around the bar for the school so...I roll with the punches). I went and with 3 of the 4 girls being teachers, everything was Spanish. They wanted to know how are time had been, what we thought of the school, how it was being married and at the school... it was a nice time. Caught a cab back.

Matt and I watched "The Notebook" in Spanish on TV in the evening. No sub titles. So at all the climactic parts... I am flipping through my mental dictionary trying to make out the words and Matt's in the background going, "What did she say??!!" and by the time we both figure it out, its already the beginning of the next take, and we eventually piece it together enough to forget we cared about the prior line. Watching movies in Spanish is a lot of work.

So, tonight, we are opting for Office Space, in English, downloading from I Tunes. Its the weekend :) There is a Jamaican restaurant around the corner that apparently has talent night and live music...we may make it over there as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment