Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Praying for Diego

Majority of my class at the school is conversational. We read articles and then share our thoughts, or we look at pictures and use them as inspiration for conversation, or a few weeks ago we literally made our own newspaper and wrote articles based off real and made up news facts. We learn grammar along the way through writing exercises that supplement the conversation and, or simple correction while we are speaking.

There are 2 other students in my class. One in his late 60s, and one in her mid twenties. Between them, me and our Profesora, we have some interesting conversations, specifically around men, relationship drama (my Profesora just broke up with her boyfriend a couple weeks ago so the topic of relationships has been coming up a lot) but I find that we talk about spiritual matters a good amount as well.

This past Thursday, before we left for Panama, the students had several questions for me about my faith and how that plays into my view on the world. The young lady in my class asked me how I could believe God is soveriegn when there are such terrible, catastrophic things in the world. I told her I had no inarguable answer, but that I did have some thoughts. In summary, I shared 2 main points (mind you this is in Spanish, so not sure how much truly was conveyed but they kept shaking their head like they were following, and La Profesora only interrupted to remind me of proper pronoun use a few times, so...)

1. We have a tendency to question the existence of God in the bad things, and not in the good things. For example, when a child is born we do not say, "WHY!? WHY would you do this to me God?!" But when the child is taken from us, in our pain we say, "WHY?! WHY would you do this to me?" I shared that Job made a profound stance when he said in the midst of his suffering, "We accept the good that God gives us, shouldn't we also accept the bad?" Job 2:10.

PS. I didnt share this in point 1 there but additionally...The argument for bad things existing in the world to disprove God and His authority, seems to me like a child who didn't get the gift under the tree he wanted, and in his hurt and disappointment cries in a tantrum to his Father, "You're not really my father, you can't be! If you were, you would have known what I wanted and got it for me!"

2. I believe we live in a window of time where the freedom of humanity (given by God in his sovereignty) and the all powerful and knowing intervention of God co exist. In this marriage, one spouse breeds imperfection and the other perfection. In the freedom that God allots us, he also allots the implications or consequences of that freedom to play out. It would not be true freedom if he did not. This window of time is the product of that marriage and its consequences... I am sure there are things that God intervenes for that we will never know, while at other times he allows things to play out, or even causes what we would consider "bad" for the sake of his glory. I also shared, that I believe this window of time will come to an end. And God will no longer allow the imperfection of men to co exist, and instead, he will rule the marriage as king, and it (the world) will be perfect, and those who submitted to his sovereignty during the window, will be invited to enjoy this new life/marriage with him.

So, why have I entitled this "Praying for Diego?" After sharing the 2 points above, almost on cue, the bell rang for lunch. As I was walking out, my Profesora asked if I would stay and speak with her. My profesora had shared her doubts in church and religion previously so I was preparing myself for an apology if I offended her or dominating the convo in class. She let the other students pass me, closed the door and in Spanish she said, "Can I ask you to do something for me?" I said yes. She asked if I would pray for her friend Diego. She grew up with him, and he is going through a lot of things and has left the church. She told me that she believes in the salvation of the bible, but she doesn't like religion and no longer attends church regularly. But she wanted to know if I would be willing to pray for Diego's salvation. I told her, yes I would, and I put out my hands. She said, "Right now?" And I asked why not? She put her hands out and we prayed together for Diego. Me in English and her in Spanish, simultaneously. It was beautiful.

My profesora said she will visit Comunidad Pas when we return from Cuba in Feb. She also said she is interested in attending the small young adults group with us on Tuesdays. I am very excited for February to come...

1 comment: