Saturday, October 29, 2011

Missing MX

I miss Mexico today... a lot. I miss our little house, and our neighbors, and the mural, and the sun and bible study. I miss the tomale man, and fresh fruit from the tangys market and Mayra's meals at 3. I miss hanging my clothes on the line, and then the whole first floor smells like detergent when the wind blows. I miss Darlene, doing aerobic videos with Iris, I miss sweet bread and walks to Tiffany's to chill or cumbi rides to Laura's to bake. I miss not knowing what's next.

I miss being so amazingly aware that God is moving, and changing things, and saving people and simple. I know that is happening here too, but its different. Its not exotic, and new, or simple. Its home and bills and cold weather, and ministry to high school girls who cuss you out, read at 1st grade levels and are 3 times more likely to be pregnant and impoverished then high school grads or college entrants. Its teaching worship dance to youth I am not even sure enjoy worshiping... its looking for a job when you don't really want one.

Maybe Mexico and Mn. are more alike then I realize. Maybe ministry is beautiful and ugly no matter where are you. I miss the beautiful right now.

1 comment:

  1. Its interesting that you wrote this because A guy came to my job yesterday who discreetly stated I was his future wife. lol He then proceeded to explain that when he graduates in December he is moving to Costa Rica to cultivate land. He's tired of America and our ideals; consumer culture, narcissistic, complicated etc. versus the simple, relational, humble living of those in CR. Maybe ministry has a sense of duality because people are both internally beautiful and ugly...

    ReplyDelete